Refurbished Samsung Galaxy Note 7
Refurbished Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Samsung is planning to sell the Galaxy Note 7 which the company took back from the market last year after several explosions of the handsets reported. The company made a global recall of the Note 7 last year and released an array of software updates to make the phone completely unusable. The company recently announced that it will roll out a software update to kill the battery of the remaining units, final call for the last year’s flagship.

There were reports circulated earlier that Samsung could sell the refurbished Galaxy Note 7 in late 2017. Now, it has been confirmed that the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 will be sold as refurbished units in emerging markets. But there’s no word from the company about where it would sell the phones and when will they hit the markets. But, one thing for sure, the refurbished Galaxy Note 7 will not be sold in the United States.

Samsung launched the Galaxy Note 7 in August last year and was recalled two weeks later after reports of explosions of the devices. The company finally discontinued the Note 7 and asked millions of customers to return the phone. It is been reported that 97 percent of the devices were returned and the remaining 3 percent of the Galaxy Note 7 will be made useless through a software update.

At the time of recalling, the common question that was raised in everyone’s mind was what the company would do with the returned units. I guess it has been answered now. As per reports, Samsung lost around $5 billion due to the failure of the Galaxy Note 7. Several claimed that Samsung would discontinue the Note series, but there are reports that the company is working on the Galaxy Note 8, which might be launched later this year.

In the subsequent Note 7 probe, Samsung found no issues with the devices itself, but there were manufacturing defects in the batteries supplied by two companies – Samsung SDI Co Ltd and Amperex Technology Ltd. The refurbished Galaxy Note 7 will feature battery software tweaks and equipped with new batteries.

Stay tuned! Share your thoughts on Samsung’s decision to sell refurbished Galaxy Note 7 in emerging markets, which would include India as well.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here