Janelle Monáe is a famous American singer, rapper and actress best known for her studio albums “The ArchAndroid”, “The Electric Lady” and “Dirty Computer”. She first became known to the outside world with the release of her EP titled “Metropolis: Suite I (The Chase)”, which peaked at number 115 on the Billboard 200 in the United States. As an actress, she received critical acclaim for portraying Mary Jackson in the movie Hidden Figures. So far, she has received six Grammy Award nominations and several other prestigious awards and honors.
Janelle Monáe Robinson
Singer, Rapper, Songwriter, Actress, Model
Birthday / Date of Birth
Janelle Monáe was born on December 1, 1985 in Kansas City, Kansas, USA.
She’s currently 32 years old.
Janelle Monae attended the F. L. Schlagle High School in Kansas City. She moved to New York City where she received scholarship to study drama at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy, however, she quit the studies midway citing her creativity was stifled at the institute. She also attended a performing arts camp called Freedom Theatre, the oldest African-American theatre in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Father – Michael Robinson Summers (Truck Driver)
- Mother – Unknown (Worked as a Janitor)
- Siblings – None
Janelle Monae is rumored to be dating fellow musician and actress Tessa Thompson. But, neither of them have confirmed nor denied their relationship affair.
She was romantically linked to British F1 racer Lewis Hamilton in the past.
- In feet – 5 feet
- In centimeters – 152 cm
- In meters – 1.5 m
- In Kilograms – 52 kg
- In Pounds – 115 lbs
- Measurements – 36-25 -36
- Bust – 36 inches
- Waist – 25 inches
- Hip – 36 inches
- Bra Size – 34B
She wears a size 7 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 4 (US).
Janelle Monae released her first studio album titled “The ArchAndroid” on May 18, 2010, which charted at #17 on the US Billboard 200. It also managed to reach the top charts in many countries.
Her second album titled “The Electric Lady” was released on September 6, 2013 to critical acclaim and debuted at number 5 on Billboard 200, followed by her third album, “Dirty Computer” on April 27, 2018. It peaked at #6 on the Billboard 200.
Her first appearance in the Billboard Hot 100 chart was “We Are Young” by fun., in which she was featured as a.guest vocalist.
Psychedelic soul, R&B, funk, soul, pop, art rock
Wondaland, Epic, Bad Boy, Atlantic Records
Janelle landed her first acting job as a voice actress in the 2014 3D animated film “Rio 2” in which she voiced the character Dr. Monae.
Her first acting role was as Teresa in the movie “Moonlight” in 2016.
In 2009, she appeared as herself in the Canadian-American military science fiction television series, “Stargate Universe”, in which she performed “Many Moons” in an episode titled “Earth”.
She is popular for her dressings style, which is tuxedo wardrobe, her signature style. Her black and white colour code is her signature style with which she relates to her early years when she worked as a maid.
Her albums “The ArchAndroid”, “The Electric Lady” and “Dirty Computer”.
Her portrayal in the movie Hidden Figures, alongside actresses Taraji P. Henson and Octavia Spencer, which was released in December 2016.
Janelle has appeared in a number of TV commercials for brands such as Pepsi, CoverGirl, Sonos Wireless HiFi home audio system, Target, Gap, and Sonos.
Janelle Monáe Favorites
- Favorite Movies – Psycho (1960), The Twilight Zone
- Favorite TV series – Game of Thrones
- Favorite Role Models – Josephine Baker, Grace Jones
- Favorite Writers – Aldous Huxley, Isaac Asimov, Octavia Butler
Janelle Monáe Net worth
Janelle Monae has a net worth of $6 million dollars.
Social Media Profiles
View this post on Instagram
Say it loud “I’M BLACK AND I’M PROUD!” 🌈👊🏾🤛🏾💜💙💚💛🧡❤️💃🏿 Thank you BetAwards for having me ! Thanks @stbeautyband for letting me walk the carpet w/ y’all (y’all slayed) ! Thank you @nikkinelms @jessicasmalls @mandelkorn Dress- @nicolasjebranworld Spaceship Clutch – @judithleiberny Jewelry – @tiffanyandco
Janelle Monáe Facts
1. She had a very difficult upbringing due to poor financial condition of her family.
2. Her inclination towards music began as a child when she was inspired by the fictional character from the musical ‘The Wizard of Oz’. She started singing and songwriting at a very young age. She was part of the choir in the local Baptist church.
3. She was a member of Kansas City’s Coterie Theater Young Playwrights’ Round Table whens she was young.
4. In 2001, she moved to Atlanta, Georgia where she met OutKast’s Big Boi, and then founded the Wondaland Arts Society with some like-minded young artists.
5. Janelle got her first break in 2006 when she performed with ‘OutKast’ in their album titled ‘Idlewild’ where she appeared in the numbers ‘Call the Law’ and ‘In Your Dreams’.
6. In 2010, Monáe received the Vanguard Award from the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers at the Rhythm & Soul Music Awards.
7. She was featured in the “Style 100” of InStyle magazine.
8. She supports LGBTQ community.
9. She received the “Breakthrough Award” at the 10th annual Essence Black Women In Hollywood event in February 2017.
10. Janelle launched her own range of clothing products under the label of Electro Phi Beta Sorority.
11. Her movies Moonlight and Hidden Figures were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture.
12. She has been influenced by the music of Michael Jackson, James Brown and Stevie Wonder.