Handbag Mogul Kate Spade Found Dead in her New York Apartment

Kate Spade, a fashion entrepreneur, best known for her collection of sleek handbags, was found hanged in the bedroom of her Park Avenue apartment Tuesday in an apparent suicide, law enforcement officials said.

Spade, 55, hanged herself and was found by her housekeeper ay about 10:20 am at her home on Park Avenue on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, the New York Daily News reported, citing unnamed police officials. Her husband Andy Spade was in the house at the time.

There are no immediate information on her suicide available. However, a suicide note was found at Spade’s apartment. Spade is survived by her 13-year-old daughter with husband Andy Spade, Frances Beatrix Spade. Kate Spade’s new fashion line, Frances Valentine, is named for her daughter.

Kate Spade was born as Katherine Noel Brosnahan on December 24, 1962 in Kansas City, Missouri. In 1986, Kate Spade found work in the accessories department of Mademoiselle in Manhattan. She left Mademoiselle in 1991, and together with Andy Spade, she came up with a new range of stylish and chic handbags. Eventually, Kate Spade Handbags was born in a plush area in Manhattan’s trendy SoHo district.

In 1999, Neiman Marcus Group purchased 56% stake in the Kate Spate brand. In 2004, the company went international by opening a store in Aoyama, Tokyo, Japan.In 2006, Spade sold the remaining 44% of her stake to Neiman Marcus Group an decided to spend time with her family.

The Henry W. Bloch School of Management at the University of Missouri, Kansas City inducted her in the Entrepreneur Hall of Fame in 2017.

You might also like