Mahendra Singh Dhoni, most commonly called as MS Dhoni, is an Indian cricketer, who has capatined the Indian cricket team for almost a decade (2007-2016). He was one of the successful captains in the world, who won the 2007 ICC World Twenty20, the CB Series of 2007–08, the 2010 Asia Cup, the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup and the 2013 ICC Champions Trophy. The right-hand batsman and wicket-keeper is well known for his aggressive play, particularly his sky-hitting helicopter shots and lightning-quick reflexes behind the stumps.
Check out his biography to know about his childhood, personal life, family life, height, weight, achievements, net worth and fun facts.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Mahi, MSD, MS, Captain Cool
Right-hand medium. He had also done bowling in the past. Dhoni had taken one ODI wicket, when he bowled Travis Dowlin from the West Indies on September 30, 2009.
Wicket-keeper, India captain
7 (all forms of cricket)
Birthday / Date of Birth
MS Dhoni was born on 7 July 1981, in Ranchi, Bihar (now in Jharkhand), India.
He is currently 36 years old.
Dhoni went to DAV Jawahar Vidya Mandir in Shyamali, Ranchi, Jharkhand. During his school days, he was good at badminton and football. He was a goalkeeper for his football team and his football coach asked him to play cricket for the local cricket clubs, and eventually today, he is one of the most celebrated cricketer in the world.
- Father – Pan Singh (MECON employee; worked at Junior Management position)
- Mother – Devki Devi
- Siblings – Narendra Singh Dhoni (Older Brother), Jayanti Gupta (Older Sister)
MS Dhoni married his long time school friend, Sakshi Singh Rawat on July 4, 2010. Theu together have a daughter, named Ziva (born 6 February 2015).
- In feet – 5 feet 9 inches
- In centimeters – 175 cm
- In meters – 1.75 m
- In Kilograms – 75 kg
- In Pounds – 165 lbs
- Measurements – 42-14-32
- Chest – 42 inches
- Biceps – 14 inches
- Waist – 32 inches
He wears a size 11 (US) shoe.
Dhoni played his first One Day International on 23 December 2004 vs Bangladesh.
T20I Match Debut
He played his first T20 International match on 1 December 2006 vs South Africa.
Test Match Debut
He played his debut test match on 2 December 2005 vs Sri Lanka.
in 2010, he played a minor role in Hindi film, Kooh Ya Crook alongside John Abraham.
Ms Dhoni hasn’t appeared in television shows other than cricket matches.
Ms Dhoni is a high-profile celebrity endorser, who has been associated with brands like Pepsico, Reebok, Exide, TVS Motors, Mysore Sandal Soap, Videocon, Reliance Communications, Reliance Energy, Orient PSPO Fan, Bharat Petroleum, Titan Sonata, Brylcreem, NDTV, GE Money, Siyaram, Fashion at Big Bazaar, Maha Choco, Boost, Dainik Bhaskar, Dabur Honey, Kolkata Fashion Week, Aircel communications, Nova Scottia Premium shirts, among others.
He has had affiliated with several brands as their brand ambassador or spokesperson.
MS Dhoni Net worth
Ms Dhoni has an estimated net worth of US$110 million as of 2017. He is one of the highest paid cricketers in the world. He was ranked #22 on the list of top 100 highest paid athletes of 2014 and #23 on the same list the following year. Last year, he made $31.5 million in earnings from his annual salary, brand endorsements, and IPL.
It’s no surprise that he is a huge fan of autos who is often regarded as a automobile freak by media. He has a large fleet of cars including Mahindra Scorpio, Maruti SX4, Hummer H2, Toyota Corolla, Land Rover Freelander, GMC Sierra, Mitsubishi Pajero Sfx, Mitsubishi Out Lander, Porsche 911, Audi Q7 SUV, Ferrari 599.
His bike collections include Hero Karizma ZMR, Yamaha Rxz, Yamaha Thundercat, Yamaha Rx, Ducati 1098, Yamaha Rd 350, Tvs Apache, Kawasaki zx14r Ninja, Confederate Hellcat X 132, Harley Davidson Fat boy, Enfield Machismo, Customized Tvs Dirt bike and much more.
Dhoni lives with his family in a luxury house in Ranchi that boasts enough bedrooms and its respective bathrooms, exquisitely decorated large living room, a large swimming pool, and of course, a massive garage to accommodate his auto collections.
Off the cricket, Dhoni has invested in several businesses. He has stakes in the Hockey India League (HIL) team Ranchi Rays, the Indian Super League team Chennaiyin FC and also the Mahi Racing Team India in the Super sport World Championship.
He also has a fitness chain called Sports Fit World and a lifestyle line called SEVEN. He has also invested in a security systems company, Optimum Vigilance Solutions.
Accomplishments / Awards
- Dhoni has received 2 Man of the Match (Test) awards, 6 Man of the Series (ODI) awards and 21 Man of the Match (ODI) awards.
- He was named the ICC ODI Player of the Year in 2008 and 2009, ICC World ODI XI from 2008 to 2014 and ICC World Test XI in 2009, 2010 and 2013.
- He is a recipient of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, India’s highest honor given for achievement in sports for the year 2007 and 2008.
- In 2009, he was conferred with Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian honour.
- In August 2011, Dhoni was given Honorary doctorate degree by De Montfort University.
- Dhoni is the first wicket-keeper to effect 150 stumping dismissals in three forms of the game.In fact, holds the record to effect most international stumpings that counts to 161.
- He holds the record for playing the most number of matches in T20I and ODI history as captain who has also served as a wicketkeeper.
- As a captain, he holds the record for hitting most international sixes.
- He has played the most number of matches as a caption (331 matches).
MS Dhoni Favorites
- Favorite Food – Chicken Tikka Pizza, Butter Chicken Masala
- Favorite Actor – Amitabh Bachchan, John Abraham
- Favorite Actress – Angelina Jolie, Deepika Padukone
- Favorite Color – Blue, Black
- Idols – Sachin Tendulkar (Cricketer), Amitabh Bachchan (Bollywood actor), Lata Mangeshkar (Singer)
Social Media Portfolio
Interesting Facts About MS Dhoni
During his school time, he was actually good at badminton and football. Dhoni was selected to represent his school at district and club levels for these sports.
In football, he is good at the goalkeeper position. Once, he was sent to play cricket by his football coach to play at a local club. He excelled there and soon was sent to other areas, where he again played extremely well. So, he focused on cricket after his 10th standard.
He worked as a Train Ticket Examiner (TTE) at Kharagpur railway station from 2001 to 2003.
Dhoni has two pet dogs, Zarah (Labrador) and Sam (Alsatian).
He owns a star hotel named Mahi Resideny in Ranchi.
In 2011, Indian Territorial Army conferred the honorary rank of Lt Colonel to him.
MS Dhoni’s trademark helicopter shot was taught to him by his friend, Santhosh Lal who died in July 2013.
He was appointed as the Vice-President of Indian Cements Limited (ICL), which owns the IPL franchise, Chennai Super Kings.
A biographical film based on the life of Dhoni, titled M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story, was released on 30 September 2016.