Vidya Balan is a Indian actress who predominately works in Bollywood and a recipient of several awards, including a National Film Award, five Filmfare Awards, and six Screen Awards. She’s one of the highest paid actresses in the industry, and, over the years, she has established a name for herself in Bollywood. She was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 2014.
Birthday / Date of Birth
She was born on January 1, 1979 in Chembur, Mumbai, India.
She is currently 39 years old.
Chembur, Mumbai, India
Vidya Balan attended At. Antony Girls’ High School in Chembur, Mumbai. She studied Sociology from St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai and then attended University of Mumbai, Mumbai and earned Masters degree in Sociology.
Indian / Asian
She has Tamilian ancestry.
- Father – P. R. Balan (Executive Vice-President of Digicable)
- Mother – Saraswathy Balan (Homemaker)
- Siblings – Priya Balan (Older Sister) (Works in advertising field)
- Relatives – Priyamani (Second Cousin) (Actress)
Siddharth Roy Kapoor (m. 14 December 2012)
Her personal life had always garnered wide spread media attention with reports citing that she was in relationship with co-stars, however, she firmly denied those rumors. In May 2012, she told media that she was dating Siddharth Roy Kapur, the CEO of UTV Motion Pictures. The couple were married on 14 December 2012 in a private ceremony in Bandra, Mumbai.
- In feet – 5 feet 3 inches
- In centimeters – 160 cm
- In meters – 1.60 m
- In Kilograms – 62 kg
- In Pounds – 136 lbs
- Measurements – 36-28-37
- Bust – 36 inches
- Waist – 28 inches
- Hip – 37 inches
- Bra Size – 34B
She wears a shoe size 8 (US).
Vidya wears a dress size of 8 (US)
Her onscreen debut came in 2003 through the Bengali film, Bhalo Theko in which she played the role of Anandi.
She received positive reviews and acclaim with her Hindi debut Parineeta in 2005, which earned her a Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut.
Vidya Balan first tasted the essence of acting when she was cast in the 1995 sitcom Hum Paanch, playing the role of Radhika, a bespectacled teenager.
Vidya has endorsed Samajwadi Pension Yojana (launched by Akhilesh Yadav led Uttar Pradesh Government), Nihar Hair Oils, Indian Film Festival, Silk Board, etc.
She did feature in a number of television commercials and print ads.
- She topped Rediff’s annual listing of “Bollywood’s Best Actress” for straight two years in 2011 and 2012.
- In 2014, she was awarded the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award in India, for her contributions to the entertainment industry.
- In 2014, she received an honorary Doctor of Arts degree from Rai University; the university also named a scholarship program for underprivileged girls after her.
Vidya Balam lived in a modest home in Chembut with her family until her marriage. In 2010, she bought a plush four-bedroom home in the subrub of Khar, Mumbai. She was ten gifted with a luxury home worth Rs 14 crore by her husband as their wedding gift.
The gorgeous lady owns one of the finest luxurious sedan in market, a black Mercedes E-Class which was gifted to her by her father.
Vidya Balan Net worth
She has an estimated net worth of $18 million dollars as of 2017. She is considered as one of the popular and influential celebrities in B-town. One of the richest celebrities in the entertainment industry, Vidya Balan earnings come from acting, television appearances, endorsement deals. Vidya at 38 still retains one of the top 10 highest paid actresses in Bollywood.
Vidya Balan Favorites
- Favorite Food – Thai food
- Favorite Actor – Shah Rukh Khan, Amitabh Bachchan, Morgan Freeman, Al Pacino
- Favorite Actress – Kate Winslet, Julie Delpy, Julia Roberts, Madhuri Dixit
- Favorite Movies – Gol Maal (1979), Before Sunrise, Before Sunset
- Favorite Director – Gulzar and Hrishikesh Mukherjee
- Favorite Book – Brida by Paulo Coelho
- Favorite Musician – Zakir Hussain, Michael Jackson, Enrique, Indian Ocean, Midival Punditz
- Favorite Color – Red
- Favorite Perfume – Issey Miyake
- Favorite Holiday Destination – New York, New Zealand
Social Media Portfolio
Vidya Balan Facts
Vidya Balan was awarded the National Film Award for Best Actress for The Dirty Picture (2011) and has won five Filmfare Awards.
Besides acting in film, Vidya promotes humanitarian causes and supports charitable institutions.
In March 2011, she endorsed World Wildlife Fund’s Earth Hour campaign in India.
She has graced the covers of famous magazines and writes columns occasionally for leading publications in the country.
Vidya Balan is the youngest person to receive “The Prabha Khaitan Puraskar” for her efforts toward women empowering by the Calcutta Chamber of Commerce in 2012.
In August 2017, Vidya was made a member of the Indian Central Board of Film Certification, to certify films for theatrical exhibition.
Vidya Balan has mastered in English, Tamil, Hindi Malayalam and also can speak Bengali.
South Indian actress, Priyamani is her second cousin sister.
She is critics’ favorite, who often criticizes her for her choice of attire because of her weight.